The city of Cahal Pech located in San Ignacio Town was occupied from around 1100 BCE to about 850 CE and at its height was probably an important regional center. Located on the highest hill overlooking the majestic San Ignacio Town, Cahal Pech is rich in ancient artifacts, structures, and wildlife. This site is perfect for a morning or afternoon tour to enjoy both the archaeology and wildlife in the area.
Notably, the oldest carved stela found so far in Belize was excavated at this site – it dates from the Late Preclassic Period. The central area contains 34 structures arranged around several plazas, all in an area containing 34 structures arranged around several plazas, all in an area of just over two acres.